Multiple mass murders and gun violence have become a national epidemic. But the horrific attack on students and faculty at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, has inspired a groundswell of outrage and determination to #neveragain permit such a vicious attack on life in our nation, led by the student survivors themselves—impassioned, outspoken advocates for change.
On March 24, students will lead a March for Our Lives in Washington, D.C., with sister events held simultaneously across the country.
On that same day, March for Our Lives Miami will draw young people from across Miami-Dade County to Collins Park on Miami Beach to demand that their lives and safety become a priority.
The League of Women Voters of Miami-Dade County (LWVMD) is honored to have been invited by Mayor Dan Gelber and the City of Miami Beach to be the lead organization to register students to vote during the March for Our Lives event. NCJW (National Council of Jewish Women) - Miami will be partnering with us in this effort.
We NEED YOU TO VOLUNTEER THAT DAY to do two things: 1) have the students take the League’s Pledge to Vote and 2) help them REGISTER to vote.
We are anticipating as many as 5,000 people or more, so we need all hands on deck to make this happen! Here’s how you can participate.
- Make sure you are a member—or become a member—of the League: Join or renew at www.lwvmiamidade.org.
- Become certified to register voters at https://www.lwvfl.org/register-voters/
- Familiarize yourself with our Pledge to Vote by taking it yourself—you’ll find it on the home page of our website.
- Tell us you will volunteer that day by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Meet at 9:00 a.m., Saturday, March 24, in Collins Park (in front of the Bass Art Museum). Carpooling is recommended; we suggest parking at the Miami Beach garage on 17th Avenue (across from the Miami Beach Convention Center).
- Students will arrive in Collins Park after the march. Help us get as many students as possible to TAKE THE PLEDGE TO VOTE and then REGISTER TO VOTE. The event will conclude by noon.
- If you are absolutely unable to participate, please show your support for this important effort and make a donation here to support our costs for this event and our activities for the 2018 Election.