On March 20, 2017, the Board of County Commissioners approved Resolution No. R-304-17 creating a Charter Review Task Force. The Charter Review Task Force shall review the Home Rule Charter of Miami-Dade County in its entirety and shall prepare and submit to the Board of County Commissioners written recommendations setting forth any proposed amendments or revisions to the Charter.
In conducting its review, the Task Force is charged with the following:
- Study the Final Report of the last Charter Review Task Force;
- Study all proposed charter amendments submitted to the voters since the last Charter Review Task Force issued its recommendations;
- Invite knowledgeable members of the community to appear and make recommendations;
- Invite representatives of Miami-Dade County’s municipalities to appear and make recommendations;
- Conduct public hearings at various stages in the review process;
- Conduct regional public meetings (for example, in North, South, Central Miami-Dade County) to convey recommendations of the Charter Review Task Force to persons in attendance and receive any additional comments from the public regarding recommendations. The Task Force shall reconvene to consider any public comments prior to submission of a final report to the Board of County Commissioners recommending charter amendment proposals and placement of such proposals on the General Election ballot. These regional public meetings shall be in addition to meetings which are to be conducted in accordance with the Code of Miami-Dade County, Florida.